Saturday, January 19, 2008

Mastering the histogram.

Today in my photography class we went over the histogram. I have been looking forward to this lesson for a while because I know it is very important when determining if a picture is correctly exposed. I learned how to read a histogram, and correct any exposure issues.

Here are some test shots I took of some rocks outside of the Abbot House where our class is held.

This first shot was taken at ISO: 100, ss 1/80, f 10. The histogram was leaning towards the left and was clipped so...I decreased my shutter speed. ISO: 100, ss 1/50, f10. As you can see this is better but still a little underexposed. The rocks in the back right corner are to dark. With this picture, the histogram still leaned to the left so I adjusted my shutter speed one final time.

Here is my final product. ISO: 100, ss 1/30, f10. This picture produced a perfect histogram and I can see the results. The picture shows perfect exposure. Now, focus...that's another story.

By Jobe, I think she's got it! I love learning something new on a daily basis. This is getting to be so much fun!!

3 comments:

Candace Wilson said...

You have learned soo much from this class!
Great work... and no we won't talk about the focus :p

Laurel Bay Stables said...

For some reason I am always drawn in a lil more to slightly under exposed photos GAH! Great job, it is fun to learn!!

Lisa B said...

A great lesson!